History of Round Hill, Nevada
Round Hill, also known as Folsom’s Knob and Peak, Round Mountain and Mound, is bounded on the north by Marla Beach and Zephyr Cove, and south by Edgewood. The first owner of record of the land in the project area was John Marley, a native of England, who acquired 160 acres surrounding the bay in the spring of 1864. Six years after settling on the shores of Lake Tahoe, Marley lost his ranch for back taxes and the property was purchased by Captain Augustus W. Pray in 1870. Pray, was a lumberman who felled the best timber in the forests and left the stunted growth to be cut for cordwood. After all the choice timber was cut, Pray sold the land to William McFaul, a wood contractor, in 1884. By 1919 Norman DeVaux purchased the property and sold parcels of it, keeping some for himself. A few years later he sold his remaining 125 acres that became Round Hill Pines Resort.
The Round Hill Pines Resort opened for the summer season in 1951. Amenities at the resort included a beach terrace, heated pool, professional tennis court, badminton, tether ball, volleyball, fishing in Bourne Lake, a driving range, a private beach and dock, and a boat slip rental. Motel units were constructed in 1956. By the summer of 1963 the resort had increased to 30 units, including housekeeping cottages. The resort continued in operation until 1969, when sewer improvements forced its closure. The Round Hill residential development commenced the following year. In 1984 the property was purchased by the USDA National Forest Service since that time, only the beach area of the resort has been used.